Add this share buttons at top header

Monday, May 27, 2013

Free Money Finance - Goal setting - how to save


Email from a reader - goal setting on how to save. This looks ingenious and uses IT to implement.

 

The reader asks for suggestion. Do you have suggestion/comments?

 

Free Money Finance


Posted: 29 Apr 2013 11:03 AM PDT
Here's an email I recently received from a reader:
I am writing you with a simple example of a goal but also a challenge for suggestions. As a long time reader of FMF I now believe in setting a goal. (Thank you, FMF) This goal is to do something for our 25th wedding anniversary. In June we will celebrate our 23 wedding anniversary. Friend's of ours will be celebrating their 25th this year. They are doing nothing because they will have two in college and you can guess the rest. Money is tight for them. Blah. Blah. Blah.

I do not want this to happen to me. I want to do something for our 25th that will be nice but not extravagant. So I have set up a separate online account and will transfer $25 from my pay and $25 from my wife's pay for the next 25 months. So the next 25 months worth of  savings would yield around $2700. To help this out even more I am taking my money set aside for emergencies/college/escrow/car insurance and putting the interest toward that account. So roughly another $20 a month or so. We are looking at $3000 to $3500 for this 25th anniversary vacation. And who knows, I might be able to pull some more money from somewhere but not much.

Now for the challenge.

Where can I go for $3000 (and having a little fun money of $500) knowing full well that I will have two young men in college and the costs associated with that and I just want to be with just me and my wife?

FYI Where I have been:

I have been on three cruises. I have been on an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon, the Disney cruise with our kids and a Carnival cruise for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. I am done with cruises.
I do not like crowds so big cities like New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles are out. I have been there for work and do not like them.
I would prefer to stay in the USA but the Caribbean might be OK. Definitely not Jamaica. I have been there on the last cruise and that was worse than Detroit and I live in the Detroit area.
We have been to Disney World three times with the kids and WE ALL LOVED IT however I want something new.  We also went to Paramount one time when we were at Disney and loved that also.
We love amusement parks but our 50 year old bodies are telling us we just can't do that high adventure anymore.
We love fine dining but are not into gambling.
I also love being unplugged and having a picturesque sunset to look at and a whole lot of nothing to do. My wife could go either way. 
My wife is a teacher so it would have to be during the summer and I do not like excessive heat or humidity. My wife is getting the same way. Since we live in Michigan, travel by plane/car/whatever would have to be included.

So I am open for suggestions from your readers.
What's your advice for him?

No comments: